Dr. Raphael M. Reischuk
Senior Information Security Researcher and ConsultantContact
I'm an information security researcher and consultant with focus on Internet
security, in particular IoT security, web security, cyber security, and
Before joining Zühlke Engineering AG, I worked as senior IT-security researcher at ETH Zürich. I obtained my PhD from the Information Security and Cryptography Group at CISPA (the Center for IT-Security, Privacy, and Accountability) at Saarland University under supervision of Prof. Michael Backes.
Research Interests & Areas of Expertise
- Web security
• TLS infrastructure and the web ecosystem [MR '17]
• secure application design and analysis:
SAFE Activation Framework for Extensibility [WWW '12, ACM CCS '13, ICWE '15]
- Authentication infrastructures [SENT '15, TOPS '17, IEEE S&P '17]
- DDoS defense [ICNP '15, NDSS '16]
- Accountability [ICNP '15, iNetSec '15, SENT '15]
- Cloud security & the Internet of Things (IoT)
Verifiable delegation of computation and data in the cloud [ACM CCS '13, IEEE S&P '15].
- Blockchain technologies
Ethereum-based incentivization system to prevent fraudulent certificates in the TLS ecosystem [MR '17]
- Future Internet Architectures
The SCION Internet Architecture [ACM CCS '16, CACM '17]
- Cryptographic protocols
• Protocol synthesis from declarative specifications [SecDay '10, TOSCA '11]
• Automated verification for cryptographic protocols [TOSCA '11]
- Constraint Programming [CP '09]
Public Talks, News, Community Service, Program Committees
- 2017/12/11 Programm committee member of IEEE CloudCom 2017, Hong Kong.
Die vernetzte Welt des 21. Jahrhunderts — Angriffe und Risiken, Innovation und Chancen.
Invited talk at DigitSummit 2017, Zurich.
Why is authenticity becoming more important than confidentiality?
Internet Security — Who is holding the trump cards?
Design and deployment challenges of a secure Internet for the 21st century.
Invited talk at TechTuesday, Zurich.
2017/01/25 CNIL-Inria Award for Privacy
Protection 2016, Brussels.
Awarded for our research paper "ADSNARK", published at the IEEE Security & Privacy Conference 2015 and as part of my dissertation.
Wie bewege ich mich sicher im Internet?
Public talk and workshop at Zurich Dark Night, Karl der Grosse, Zurich.
Zeit für ein neues, sicheres Internet.
Public talk at Treffpunkt Science City, ETH Zurich.
A Next-Generation Secure Internet Architecture for the 21st Century.
Invited talk at Geopolitics-Aware Internet Strategies, Rome.
SIBRA: Scalable Internet Bandwidth Reservation Architecture.
Invited talk at the SWITCH Network and Security Conference, Lucerne.
SIBRA: Scalable Internet Bandwidth Reservation Architecture.
Conference talk at the Internet Society Network and Distributed System Security Symposium 2016 (NDSS), San Diego, USA.
- 2016 Programm committee member of ACM CCS 2016 (posters, demos)
- 2016 Programm committee member of IEEE CloudCom 2016
- 2016 Programm committee member of SCN 2016
- 2016 Programm committee member of IEEE EuroSP 2016
- 2015 Programm committee member of IEEE CloudCom 2015
- 2015 Programm committee member of ICWE 2015
- 2015 Programm committee member of NDSS SENT 2015
SCION — A Secure Internet Architecture
I'm currently co-authoring the first comprehensive book on our Future Internet Architecture SCION. The book will be published by Springer in Spring 2017. Stay tuned!
Programmierung — Eine Einführung in die Informatik
I assisted Gert Smolka in writing the first and second edition of this book, an introduction to computer science based on functional programming. It is mostly written for undergraduate CS students (language: German).
IKP: Turning a PKI Around with Decentralized Automated IncentivesS&P'17: 38th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland), 2017.
Authentication Challenges in a Global EnvironmentACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS), 2017.
A Secure Internet Architecture for the 21st CenturyCommunications of the ACM, to appear.
SIBRA: Scalable Internet Bandwidth Reservation ArchitectureNDSS'16: Network and Distributed System Security Symposium, 2016.
DEMO: Easy Deployment of a Secure Internet Architecture for the 21st CenturyCCS'16: 23rd ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, 2016.
IKP: Turning a PKI Around with BlockchainsCryptology ePrint Archive, 2016.
SCION Five Years Later: Revisiting Scalability Control and Isolation on Next-Generation NetworksarXiv e-prints, 2015.
Forwarding Accountability: A Challenging Necessity of the Future Data PlaneiNetSec'15: IFIP WG 11.4 Workshop on Open Research Problems in Network Security, 2015.
FAIR: Forwarding Accountability for Internet ReputabilityICNP'15: IEEE International Conference on Network Protocols, 2015.
Balancing Isolation and Sharing of Data in Third-Party Extensible App EcosystemsICWE'15: 15th International Conference on Web Engineering, 2015.
ADSNARK: Nearly Practical and Privacy-Preserving Proofs on Authenticated DataS&P'15: 36th IEEE Symposium on Security and Privacy (Oakland), 2015.
Certificates-as-an-Insurance: Incentivizing Accountability in SSL/TLSSENT'15: NDSS Workshop on Security of Emerging Networking Technologies, 2015.
Declarative Design and Enforcement for Secure Cloud ApplicationsPhD thesis, 2014.
The Official SAFE ManualTechnical report, 2014.
Verifiable Delegation of Computation on Outsourced DataCCS'13: 20th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, 2013.
DEMO: Secure and Customizable Web Development in the SAFE Activation FrameworkCCS'13: 20th ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security, 2013.
SAFE Extensibility for Data-Driven Web ApplicationsWWW'12: 21st International World Wide Web Conference, 2012.
G2C: Cryptographic Protocols from Goal-Driven SpecificationsTOSCA'11: Theory of Security and Applications (now POST), held as part of ETAPS 2011, the Joint European Conferences on Theory and Practice of Software, 2011.
Cryptographic Protocols From Declarative SpecificationsSecDay'10: Grande Region Security and Reliability Day, 2010.
Maintaining State in Propagation SolversCP'09: 15th International Conference on Principles and Practice of Constraint Programming, 2009.
Automated Checking of Observational Equivalence for an Extended Spi CalculusStudents' project, 2009.
Reconciling Copying and Trailing for Constraint Programming SystemsBachelor's thesis, 2008.
Awards & Distinctions
- 2017: 2016 CNIL-Inria Award for Privacy Protection. See here and here.
- 2014: Distinction "summa cum laude" for my dissertation on IT-security.
- 2009: FdSI Bachelor Prize for outstanding achievements during the undergraduate studies. See here.
- Network Security (fall 16)
- Operating Systems and Networks (spring 16)
- Operating Systems and Networks (spring 15)
- Programming for Engineers (summer 11)
- Current Research in Information Security (summer 11)
- The Magic of Cryptography (summer 11)
- Cryptography (summer 10, teaching award)
- Formal Methods and Cryptography (winter 09/10)
- Current Research in Information Security (summer 09)
- The Magic of Cryptography (summer 09)
- Advanced Cryptography (summer 08)
- Programmierung 1 (winter 07/08, supervision)
- Programmierung 1 (winter 06/07)
- Mathematical intensive course for beginners (winter 07/08)
- Mathematical intensive course for beginners (winter 06/07)
- Simon Scherrer (Bachelor's thesis, 2016)
- Shefali Garg (internship, 2013)
- Santiago Aragon (implementation project, 2012)
- Parth Tripathi (internship, 2012)
- Florian Schröder (Masters's thesis, 2012)
- Karsten Knuth (Bachelor's thesis, 2011)
- Ines Ciolacu (implementation project, 2011)
- Jan Balzer (Bachelor's thesis, 2011)
- Aleksandra Pochron (research project, 2009/2010)
- Nora Speicher (student project, 2009/2010)
ContactDr. Raphael M. Reischuk
Senior Information Security Researcher and Consultant
Zühlke Engineering AG
Phone+41 (0) 44 733 6566
E-mail: raphael.reischuk ® zuehlke.ch